I have really been wanting to make egg rolls! Not sure why…I have never made them before. I think that’s why I wanted to try, I was up for a challenge. FYI it’s not as hard as it may look! Ha ha
I didn’t have an exact recipe to follow so I just went for it and started combing ingredients and they turned out amazing! I love the southwest flavor! I have really been loving egg rolls so when I tried this it gave me a ton of other ideas I could try for recipes (stay tuned). Also I tried something new! I tried a new avocado ranch dip! Look below, it’ super easy and you’ll love it!
1 lb ground beef or shredded chicken
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can (4oz) diced green chillis
1 package egg roll wraps
1 avocado separated
1/2 tsp onion powder-you could use a real onion too probably 1/2 onion.
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Dipping sauce ingredients
1 cup ranch dressing
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat. Add in onion powder, chili powder and cumin. When beef is browned set aside.
2. Drain corn, green chilies, diced tomatoes and drain and rinse black beans.
3. Cut avocado in half. Use half for the egg roles and use the other half for the dressing. Combine avocado, corn, chilies, tomatoes, and black beans in a bowl. Add drained ground beef.
4. Using about 1/4 cup filling at a time, roll the filling in the wrappers according to the directions on the package. I got about 20 rolls.
5. Line a large pot with layers of paper towels (this is for draining and cooling the egg rolls once cooked) and set aside.
6. In a large saucepan, heat enough oil to fry the egg rolls (about 2 inches from the bottom of pan) to 350 degrees. Fry the egg rolls in small batches until golden brown. Remove from oil and place n the prepared pot vertically, so they rest against the side of the pan. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
*Option 2 for ‘frying’ them: you can also use an air fryer. I set mine to 400 degrees and fried them about 3 minutes on each side. They tasted great! It’s fun to have a healthier option!
1. Mash avocado and combine with 1 cup ranch dressing in a blender and blend until smooth.