We had a sad, sad kid the other day with a sore mouth #braces and I told him I would make him anything that would be easy to eat. The only obvious solution was SOUP! Krew is my broccoli cheese loving kid. I don’t think he will eat broccoli by itself but put it with some cheese in a soup and he is all over it. He orders it everywhere we go! This was a favorite of his at Panera while we were in Disneyland! He ate soup on a 100 degree day in California! I was a little worried when I asked him what kind of soup I could make him because I didn’t want to spend the whole day making one. He quickly asked for broccoli cheese and I got a little scared. I’ve never made it before, I got this recipe from a friend and tweaked it to be my own! The best part? It took me all of 3o minutes to make. Easiest soup recipe ever!
Soup is also one of my favorite comfort foods. It makes me feel good on a sick day, happy on a crummy day and warm inside on a cold day! I have several soup recipes but this one is nearing the top now! I took some to my mom and dad to eat and my mom called me the next day to ask what my ingredients were because she didn’t believe me that it was homemade. I quickly started naming off the ingredients and I think she was very surprised. She can’t wait to make it now, too!
1 head of broccoli, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup butter
16 oz jar Cheese Whiz
2 cups half and half
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour
1-2 cups chicken broth
pepper to taste
- Chop all vegetables. (I have this Chop Wizard I swear by, no crying for onions and chops it very small)
- Place 1/4 cup of butter in a pan and sauté the veggies until soft and transleucent.
- In a soup pot, melt the remaining 3/4 cup butter and make a roux by whisking in flour to the melted butter.
- Add salt, half and half, and milk to make a creamy white sauce.
- Add the Cheese Whiz to the white sauce.
- Mix in vegetables to the cheese soup.
- Add as much or as little chicken broth to desired consistency, I feel like its a little thick so I added almost 2 cups.
- Season with pepper and serve with a sprinkle of cheese on top!
Like I said earlier, this recipe is SO easy! It pairs perfectly with some french bread and a little cheese sprinkled on top. This could easily be frozen if you decided to make a big batch and have meals ready to go. This could be a great meal to take into a friend or neighbor in need. We are in the month of November so doing a kind act of service could be a great idea! I get so many questions about my pots and pans, they are the Gotham Steel pots and pans and the copper is so great and non-stick, they’re awesome!
For other great soup recipes try these!