I have had this old bread machine for probably 10 years and the most special part about it, is that it is the one from when I was a child. I would wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings to the smell of homemade bread cooking in the bread machine. We would always butter it up, and eat it warm. It is a fond memory of my childhood. My mom was very crafty and great in the kitchen, almost everything I know in the kitchen I learned from her. Then Pinterest came along, and my knowledge about recipes and kitchen help sky rocketed. LOL! I’ve had this bread machine in my pantry since we’ve lived in our current home of almost 4 years and I’ve never touched it! I’ve really been into cooking recently, I definitely go through phases where my desire to cook is better than other times. I’ve wanted to try my hand at this, I’ve done kits to make bread but this was my first actual home made bread I’ve made and I couldn’t love the recipe more!
These recipes also give you the opportunity to let your kids help you and make them part of the process. It’s enjoyable for them and these are memories that they will have for forever. Let them help and your heart will swell a little as you let them.
1 cup lukewarm water
1/3 cup lukewarm milk
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
3 3/4 cup flour
- First start by plugging in your bread machine and setting it to “bread” and I change my bread color to “light.”
- Pour all ingredients into bucket in order as they are listed. I run my water to lukewarm and use it that way, the milk I heat in the microwave for about 25-30 seconds and it makes it the perfect temperature. Melt your butter in the microwave to melt it.
- Close lid and press start.
- Bread will knead and rise and bake for a total of about 3.5-4 hours.
- When it is all done remove the bread from the bucket and slice up and top with butter, honey butter or jam. Don’t leave it in the machine, I made that mistake and it made it a little softer than I would have liked. I like the outer crust to be a little harder.
All the hard work of homemade bread is done for You! It tastes so yummy. It’s light and fluffy and makes the perfect afternoon snack or goes well with dinner. We choose to eat this anytime of day. It’s been our favorite snack this last week.